Friday, May 8, 2009

Current Postcards




Long time no write. I just finished up a native iPhone application for the App Store. It is a free program that allows you to create postcards and greeting cards from photos and save, email or upload to Facebook.

I created this for my company in my spare time for a lot of reasons, but the biggest was to generate some excitement across our various departments and get the business to open up to new ideas and directions. There are a lot of people doing exactly the same thing, and Apple has made developing for their platform a lot of fun.

It was nice to work on something that was NOT Microsoft related for a change. No offense against Microsoft, but they simply aren't innovative anymore. Most of their time seems to be spent copying what other people do. I do think highly of their development tools, but when it comes to their desktop and mobile operating systems...they really are not in nearly as robust as what I've seen from Apple and others.

Anyway, here is a link to a youtube video for the new iPhone application.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0C18rXCxEs

I have other apps planned. Sorry this is not astronomy related. I had to make a choice when working on a native app whether to do something for myself or something to help out my company. Given the tough economic times and doing more with less, I think it was the right choice. It has provided a fun project for several people and helped people realize that we want to grow and 'think different'. From that perspective, I consider it a success already.

There are some great astronomy apps in the app store, I would check them out. iSkyGaze simply does not have all the great features of a native app because I do not have the kind of hardware control in a web app. Keep in mind, it was written before there was even an SDK :) That being said, people still use it and I get emails all the time.

Thanks for the support!

0 Responses: